What A Wonderful World


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Things That Should Never Be Shiny For $200 Alex.


My Language class learned fruits, vegetables, and nuts today. We decided yesterday as we looked ahead that we would bring in what we could find and eat the item while we learned it. Coconut was on my list. I had seen some at one of the grocery stores that I frequent so I went and purchased one.

A strange thing about these coconuts is that they are polished to a sheen. You can see your reflection in them. I wondered why anyone would bother to polish coconuts but it is not top ten of strange things I have seen here so I purchased one and went about my business.

This morning I was getting the items on my list ready for consumption and I saved the coconut for last. I like fresh coconut and I was going to partake of some a little early. I managed to get into it without too much hassle and even saved a good portion of the milk.

As I drank a big swallow of the coconut milk, I had a vague recollection of some cooking show (probably Alton Brown and Good Eats) saying never to purchase a shiny coconut because they will taste like whatever was used to polish them. Mine tasted like vanish smells. I spit and sputtered until I could get some water. I could not believe what I tasted, so I took a bite of the coconut. It was even worse.

It seems like I type this a lot, but live and learn. The cousin It looking coconuts may not be as appealing to the eye, but they are much easier on the taste buds. On the plus side, my innards should be nice and shiny from all the coconut polish I swallowed.

? of the day for the remnants of a shiny coconut, what is the closest you have ever come to having to call poison control because of something you ingested?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This morning I tasted gas on my hands when I tried to remove the powdered surger from my fingers after eating a donut because I did not have a kleenex or wet wipe.

Bobbie said...

Quite a few years ago I visited a friend. As I arrived she was finishing washing some dishes in the sink. She offered me a drink, so I asked for water...it tasted like she had poured a gallon of soap in it. In her haste to finish the dishes, she did not fully rinse my glass...something we still laugh about!