Friday at the hardware store, after a laborious game of charades that ended with me getting all of the parts for a project I am working on except for one at the same store which is a minor miracle, there were a few moments of standing around.
Let me back up a minute and explain how rare it is to find everything you need at one store. One place will sell hammers but not nails. Another store will sell nails, but not lumber. Another store will sell plywood but not 2x4’s. The only thing I needed that this shop did not sell was light bulbs. They wanted my business though and one of the employees sprinted down the street to a place that sold light bulbs and got them for me, so technically I did get everything I needed at one place.
When the employee went to get the light bulbs, it left the other guy who worked there and me standing and waiting for a few moments. He knew a few English words, but even fewer than I know of his language so communication was difficult. There was a moment of misunderstanding when I thought he asked if I was from the U.S.A. I excitedly nodded and said yes in his language. The only problem was he did not ask if I was from the U.S.A. He asked if I wanted a cigarette. He reached into his pocket and pulled out two, one for each of us. He handed me mine and lit his and then stuck the lighter up to where my cigarette was supposed to be. I was just standing there holding it in front of me wondering what to do to keep from having to smoke a cigarette. I already second hand smoke a pack a day around here so I am not looking to increase my nicotine and tar consumption.
I decided I would stick it in my pocket and hope for the best. The store employee looked at me like I had just kicked his dog. So I started to explain. I tried to explain in English first to no avail then in his language to no avail so I resorted to charades. After only a few seconds of charades I managed to convince him that I never smoke before lunch, which is 100% fact. I have never smoked a cigarette before lunch or after for that matter, but I left that part out. He nodded in agreement and seemed pleased that he had given me something to look forward to.
About that time the other employee returned and we finished the transaction. I placed my bountiful purchase in my backpack and walked to the street and took a taxi to my next stop thinking to myself that there is probably not another foreigner in the country who could have pulled off getting that gigantic list of items in one stop. I basked in the glow of my triumphant feat until that night when I realized I had forgotten to get hinges. I went back the next day and they did not have them and there was only one lady in the store so I had to go get them on my own. She did point me in the right direction though.
? of the day for an unnecessary second trip to the hardware store, what is the most important thing you have ever forgotten?







4 comments:
I can't think of anything I have forgotten. But there was a man at my church who forgot his grandson one day. We were eating after church but he wasn't staying. Most everyone had there plates and were sitting down eating when someone noticed that Hudson was walking around. Someone asked him where his grandpa went and he said "he left". We asked if anyone was watching him, and noone knew, so a call was made and the man had to come back for his grandson. The funny thing is, he said he had left all of his 5children at some time or another.
Malinda
This question is laughable and impossible for me to answer because I have forgotten soooo much. If I don't have a list I'm sure to forget something. But you know the sad part? Sometimes I even forget something on my list or forget my list. It's tough getting old, you kids may have to start looking for that "home" sooner than later. MOM
Gas in the car.
passport? siblings? probably the computer cord was the worst...
Post a Comment