Another adventure from last week was teaching drivers ed. In order to get where we needed to be everyday last week, we acquired access to a truck. We had to leave as the sun was coming up and returned most evenings after the sun was down. This being the case it would have been almost impossible to catch one of the gray vans that take you long distances since they do not start their routes until the sun is up and they stop running as the sun goes down.
Getting a drivers license here is more of a reading test than a driving test. If you have a U.S. license all you have to do is pass a written test of local traffic laws and you can get a license. Unfortunately I am still functionally illiterate. My friend however is pretty good with the language and with just a little bit of begging on his third attempt at the driver’s test they passed him.
Perhaps the most important question that should be on the test is, “Can you drive a stick shift?” My friend would have had to answer that with a no. In case you did not know, stick shifts are pretty much all there is in Asia. Between the two of us we made one functional driver. I know how to drive a stick but have no license. He has a license, but did not know how to drive a stick.
Our first adventure was just after dark. The streets were as busy as I have seen them at any time other than morning rush hour. We stalled in the middle of the street twice and went about half as fast as everyone else. Horns were honking everywhere. People were passing on both sides. We had to make a stop at the post office which required parallel parking. We survived it all without a scratch.
I have always admired people who can go through stressful situations and remain calm and patient. I think I may have joined their ranks. A situation like that would have given me plenty of reason to get worked up in the past. My heart rate didn’t even rise during the excursion and believe me, I checked.
? of the day for a free driving lesson, what gives you road rage?
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







7 comments:
At least your friend's "teacher" knew how to drive a stick shift!
Remember your practice drives when you first got the "Silver Bullet"?
MOM
where do I begin? Slow drivers that won't get in the right lane, people that wait till they are already making a turn to turn on their signal, people who think they need to come to almost a complete stop before making a right hand turn, and most of all idiots.
Malinda
Most of the drivers in my city. Basically everything Malinda said -especially the people who must stop to turn. Also, there are several areas in my city with a "no left turn" sign. However, this does not stop people from holding up traffic for hours waiting to make a left turn. Where are the cops? Usually, they are the ones making the illegal turn!*sigh*
Too many things to list...it would probably be easier to answer what doesn't give me road rage.
So, top 2:
1. Semi drivers that hog the left lane so you can't pass them.
2. Tailgating!
Happy Birthday late!
I do not like drivers that are late in turning on their signal, making me late for work because they drive slow in the fast lane, and make me late again because they have to stop completely to make a right hand turn.
Um, for me, I would say woman drivers that hang in yout blind spot.
Yes, I understand the irony/hypocrisy of that statement.
Oh yeah, I thought of another one... when you are merging onto the interstate and the car in front of you wants to go 30 mph, I mean come on... the interstate traffic is going 70+, you HAVE to get your speed up or you'll get ran over, or won't get to merge at all.
Malinda
Post a Comment