What A Wonderful World


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Along Came A Blackbird


One of the first nuances that I noticed in the grocery store upon my initial visit was that most of the chickens for sale were black. Keep in mind I am not a novice in the field of poultry, but this was a new one for me. I am well aware that through years of selective breeding the bird we find in grocery stores in the U.S. is far different from its ancestors, but the site of a naked black chicken with head and feet still attached was attention getting.

When I got home from my first trip to the grocery store I looked up black chicken on the internet and found that it is the preference in Asia. It is said to have health benefits and has been tested to have higher levels of some antioxidant that I do not remember off the top of my head. If filed that information in the recesses of my mind and decided that I would buy one sometime.

There are two recipes that are especially popular for black skinned chicken. Black skinned chicken soup, and black skinned chicken slow cooked in dark soy sauce. I have now had both and the meat tastes the same in both. Apparently they use the slow cooked chicken in the soup. I was unaware of this when I purchased a black skinned chicken slow cooked in dark soy sauce this afternoon to have for supper. I thought it was baked, but was wrong. Had I realized it I could have saved some time and quite a bit of money as I had already had some of the black skinned chicken soup. As it turns out, this particular dish is so popular that it cost twice as much as a regular ole white skinned fried chicken. It is pretty good but when you consider the extra cost and the fact that every bite you take your brain is telling you that chicken is not supposed to be that color and a regular fried bird would have been a much more sensible choice. Oh well, live and learn. I suppose I will have to purchase one that is uncooked to find out what I really want to know. Is there any discernable difference in the taste between the two types of chicken? I am told that foreigners here will not buy the black skinned chicken and the locals will not buy the white skinned chicken. I predict there is no discernable difference. I will keep you posted on the results of my research.

In other news, I now have a toaster oven so I foresee much baked chicken in my future be it white or black skinned.

? of the day for a black skinned chicken soup recipe, have you ever seen an item that was a different color than it was supposed to be? If so, what was it? Ex Black skinned chicken or yellow snow.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny you should ask...
Joyce brought me an Heirloom Seed catalog yesterday. It has some of the strangest vegetables in it.
Ex. Purple cauliflower, green, red and orange eggplants. (You know we may have to try some of these strange things.) Your Grandma Wilkins would have loved this catalog! By the way, many of these vegetables have an Asian background. MOM

Karen said...

Green & Purple Ketchup. (gross.)

Dollmaker extraordinaire said...

Most definately yes. Lemons, after 35 years of shopping I still cringe at the thought of YELLOW lemons. I grew up in a region where lemons were NOT YELLOW. The first time my husband brought home a YELLOW lemon I asked "what is that?". It still makes my skin crawl to think of a YELLOW lemon. I always ask for a "real lemon", my family understands and brings home a green lime, not that YELLOW thing. Vicissitude's Mom

jacobh24 said...

I've never been able to swallow the whole green ketchup fad. Apparently someone has, though, as I saw blue and purple varieties of ketchup in the grocery store the other day. Disgusting.

Anonymous said...

They sell yellow and floral-print (as well as fragranced) TP here, but I hear yours is pink. Neither one stacks up to black chicken, though.

On the subject of food, Germans eat corn on their pizza. Also, they eat this stuff that I thought was just nasty, lumpy, pinky-orangey cheese sauce with strange spices. Then, I heard someone say "herring" and saw them pull out a fish body and slather it on bread.

Anonymous said...

The green ketchup was mine also. However, the previous post answered a question that I have had for 17 years (and if I recall correctly, we also discussed this in class one day Mr. T)...Why do school cafeterias always serve corn with pizza? Apparently all cafeteria cooks are German.

Anonymous said...

Well, I just used some yellow watermelon to make our fruit smoothies this afternoon. The outside looks like a regular watermelon, but inside it was definitely bright yellow. Tasted about the same. Did not taste like chicken. :-)

--James