What A Wonderful World


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Let's Get To Know The American

For the first two months of my stay in Asia I have been fairly anonymous. The campus was empty for most of it and most people who work in anything other than stores and restaurants were out of town visiting the villages they are from originally.

I spoke none of the local language and no one here at the time spoke any English. It was really just too much trouble to bother with getting to know the foreigner. Once everyone returned it started to change. Week one of class I got more funny looks than all the previous weeks combined. I just shrugged it off as no big deal. Week two of classes I was out of town. This is week three and the ice has officially been broken.

People here seem shy to start with, but that goes away. I am now teaching an English class on Tuesdays. Most of the faculty there speaks some English. I went to English Corner on campus Wednesday night. Out of those two engagements, I have been asked if I was married an uncountable number of times. Once that question is out of the way LOOK OUT. I have been asked for my phone number at least 7 times. I have been given too many numbers to count or call even if I could remember who gave them to me. I have been invited to go mountain climbing twice, go for a weekend visit to a hometown, attend 2 festivals, visit a second class while I am on campus teaching the English class, and just hang out and talk 4 times. All from different girls in the last 72 hours. One lady told me I better get myself a fake ring. I think she is right.

Speaking of English Corner, I had 50 or so Asians yelling WAR EAGLE! Last night. I told them that they should say that to any American they run into, so some day if you are walking around and an Asian tells you War Eagle, tell them Heath says hello they will know who you are talking about. They may even ask for my number.

? of the day for dinner and a movie, what do you say when someone who you really don’t want to have it asks for your number?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wear a fake ring, it is easier and nicer and you do not have to lie. The first thing women usually do is look for ring, and if there is one, that's the end of it.

Anonymous said...

I wore a fake ring when I was on the field. I got so many marriage proposals that I quit counting. One little $2.00 ring solved it all!

Can't you think of anything more meaningful to teach the poor Asians who don't know any better???? Like maybe when the ROLL is called up yonder or something about the CRIMSON blood that flowed for them? Hee hee!!!! --Praying for you and your multiple ladies daily!

Karen said...

LOL!! I told a guy to ask my dad. (I told my dad to not give it to him.) A friend of mine told someone "it's in the directory - look it up."

Anonymous said...

I know that you won't put this on your blog....but if you recall before you left I said i would get a sister in law out of this deal...sounds hopeful!!!

Anonymous said...

I used to say I was moving overseas. So much for that excuse.

Susanna said...

You could always just start a bidding war and see how much you could get for yourself. Just an idea ...

Anonymous said...

In light of this, I have decided to call you "The White Tiger."

Toby and Beverly said...

...and so are the days of our lives. LOL! Easy Boy! LOL! :-) Toby

Anonymous said...

If they won't accept any other excuse...then I give them a fake phone number.

Or I give them my mom's phone number...