What A Wonderful World


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

We Have Much Experienced Turbulence

So, I just took a little trip. I had the option of taking an 8 hour bus ride or a 40 minute flight. It seemed like a no brainer at the time even though I do not like flying to take the flight. 5 minutes into the flight however, I began to long for a hot smelly overcrowded bus.

As I mentioned, I am not a big fan of flying, but I can do it. I often feel like the hassle of flying, with the delays, long lines, check in shake downs, layovers, not to mention turbulence make flying more trouble than it is worth. About five minutes into the flight we hit what I will call a little rough spot. I had been warned that the short flight would be a bit bumpy as it is windy season and the short distance does not allow for the plane to get up high enough to avoid the rough ride. The warning was correct. We dropped suddenly and like a rock. No one actually screamed, but everyone on the plane was in preparation to view the first few scenes of our lives flashing before our eyes.

Seconds after the scare, the stewardess made an announcement in a language I do not understand yet but I knew exactly what she was saying. A moment later in her best English she said, “We have much experienced turbulence.” AMEN SISTER.

At the conclusion of the first leg of the journey to my destination, I was certain that my presence at the final destination was not worth going through what I went through in the traveling, little did I know it would only get worse.

I had 6 hours to kill in the airport. The first two were not all that bad, but boredom was about to overtake me so in an attempt to entertain myself I started recording observations about 2.5 hours into the time killing. They are as follows:

- After being 1 of 4 people in the waiting area someone let the gate down and we are now over run with around 200 people.

- Glad I used the restroom before the mob arrived.

-Sad that all these people who just arrived will leave here before I do.

- I hope there are some familiar faces on my flight (There were none)

- 3 hours and 14 minutes until take off.

- I just read the scrolling English billboard.

- I just read it again and discovered a portion I did not read last time. I am supposed to inform against inspectors who take bribes.

- I just took the ticket stub from my first flight out of my pocket and put it in my book bag.

- 3 hours and 5 minutes to take off.

- My destination is warm and sunny so I did not pack a coat, but it is starting to get cool in here.

- The exit sign here is green and has a picture of a person running.

- Just checked to see if my passport is still in the bag. Yep, it is.

- They really need to open another check in line.

- They just opened two more lines. I could run this place.

- 3 hours to take off.

- There is a line at the hot water machine. I do not understand the fascination with drinking hot water.

- There is a lady taking pictures. Why do people take pictures in airports? I have been in this room for hours and have not seen one picture worthy item.

- I am the only person in the room not wearing a jacket.

- 2 hours and 53 minutes to take off.

-The person behind me just got a phone call. I eaves dropped. I understood. Hello, what, and good bye.

- Lady behind me just hauked a loogie and spit it into her napkin. She saw me turn around to look so I turned back around. The world will never know what happened to that napkin.

- 3 foreigners are at the check in counter. They are wearing suits and ties, they must be important or want people to think they are. I am guessing their names are Wilton, Carl, and Andrew.

-3 people were just told to stop loitering in the walkway.

- Wilton, Carl and Andrew are filling out the departure card. I did that hours ago.

- 2 hours and 40 minutes to take off.

To Be Continued…………………

I realize this is not the most exciting blog you have ever read, but stay tuned. Find out what happens to Wilton, Carl, and Andrew and you will not want to miss what happens with the picture taking lady and a near international incident. Next time on We Have Much Experienced Turbulence.

Question of the day. For the joy of helping other unfortunate travelers who are bored out of their minds at the airport. How do you pass the time at the airport?

5 comments:

Meektigers24 said...

"People watching" of course.

Anonymous said...

Obvious answer: read a book. Preferably a good book. Even better, a good book you like. --J

Karen said...

LOL!! Sorry to laugh - I know it was frustrating. I always heard "If you have time to spare, go by air."
Can't wait for the next installment.
As for killing time in airports, I read,or watch people and make up stories about them (this can be really funny). You should write a story about Wilton, Carl and Andrew...

Anonymous said...

so glad you're back on the ground safe & sound! missed you while you were gone.

foreign airports are the best for watching two people talk and imagining what they're saying to each other. and counting ceiling tiles never gets old, either.

lifting you up daily!

Bobbie said...

We like to play "travellers bingo"...just make a list in your head (or on paper since you have the time)...then make a note when you find them! Blue suitcase, purple backpack, someone with a tattoo, more than 2 earrings, a shirt with ? on it, etc...happy waiting!!