What A Wonderful World


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Hunger Never Felt So Good

It feels good to be hungry again. After almost 4 full days of the thought of food turning my stomach, I realized today on my way to language class that I was actually hungry. The grand total of what I have eaten since Sunday is 3 bananas, two bowls of noodles, and two peanut butter sandwiches.

I do language in a restaurant so I ordered some fries when I arrived and at the conclusion of the lesson, I ordered a chicken too go. I am looking forward to eating part of it when I get home. In the meantime, I am typing up this blog while I wait for it to cook.

Remembering how good it feels to be hungry makes me reminisce about other aspects of life that one can only grow to truly appreciate after dealing with parasites. I have compiled the following list of such aspects that I no longer take for granted.

1. Charmin Toilet Paper
2. Clorox Bleach for cleaning the restroom
3. A really comfortable couch
4. An English speaking pharmacist
5. A vehicle to drive to the pharmacy
6. An English speaking friend or family member to go to the pharmacy for you.
7. Chicken Noodle soup
8. Plain ole saltine crackers
9. Real garbage bags to line your barf bucket
10. Television to help pass the time.

There are some positives to being sick in the orient and here is the list.

1. No need to go to the doctor, you are as qualified as he is.
2. Let Web MD diagnose your symptoms and recommend treatment then just point to what you need at the pharmacy. No prescriptions needed.
3. No expensive lab work.
4. The cure for Giardia cost a grand total of 44 cents American. That is enough to cure this and the next three rounds of it.
5. If you were to pass out in the street on the way to the pharmacy someone would definitely put you on their bicycle wagon and haul you to the hospital.

And now the rest of the story..... I have now consumed about half of the chicken I ordered. It was delicious. Interestingly enough, rather than part with more napkins, they give you plastic gloves to eat your chicken with. Real Napkins are truly a rare commodity here.

? of the day for an all expense paid trip to nowhere. What is the first food you crave after being sick?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sure do ask some thought provoking questions. Maybe it will help keep my old mind sharp trying to come up with answers...
Maybe something sweet like a candy bar which I can't have anyway!

MOM

Meektigers24 said...

a cheese burger, big cheese burger.

Anonymous said...

I usually crave something greasy, like pizza or fried foods.

Anonymous said...

anything Mexican

Heather