Apparently one of the restaurant workers either tired of our daily game of point and guess or just decided my vocabulary needed to be expanded to include the word Sprite. I have three drinks that I alter between: Sprite, Orange stuff, and Orange stuff float. Sprite is always the hardest to discern for them, so the employee took it upon herself to teach me how to say Sprite. She made me say it over and over until I got it correct.
Today I walked in and confidently said Sprite. This made the entire staff very excited. I then threw them a curveball as I added and an ice cream cone. The place virtually erupted into cheers as the Dumb American finally learned how to order. They understood ice cream, but gave me more impromptu lessons on pronouncing it properly.
The place is typically empty when I arrive for tutoring, so all of the employees alternate standing around and watching me practice language when it is slow. Recently however business has tended to pick up after I arrive. It is possible that word has leaked out that not only can you get a meal, but also a show if you arrive between 2:30 and 4:00 I think they have adopted me as their official mascot. They may even be planning to order me a yellow jumpsuit and red clown wig.
? of the day for an impromptu language lesson from the fine employees at McConkeys. What word or words do you have trouble pronouncing?
P.S. I have added a R4BL&D post Ricey party exclusive photo of Ricey winner Bobbie to the Ricey Award Blog







4 comments:
I cannot say statistics. It just will not come out of my mouth correctly. Thankfully in my line of work as housewife/babysitter the need to say it doesn't come up to often. MOM
I have a hard time saying worry, worried, and the names Rory (one of my cousins) and Roy (a guy I work with).
Malinda
Auf Englisch, I cannot pronounce "Chipmunk" without being very deliberate about it. Auf Duetsch, I have a problem with every word that has two vowels next to each other. There are a lot of them. Ironially, I also have a hard time pronouncing "Englisch."
I have a hard time saying worshire...I often avoid recipes with said ingredient so that I don't have to say it very often!!
Post a Comment