I took a short trip out of town Saturday. To do this I have to get a ride in what is called a bread van. I am not sure why they are called bread vans unless it is because they are somewhat shaped like a loaf of bread, but that is not the point. Typically there are at least 3 bread vans sitting around waiting for passengers, but that was not the case Saturday. When I got to the first place where they load, there was only one, and the driver was nowhere to be found. Not wanting to risk sitting around for an hour, I walked to the next spot about half a mile down the road. Here I found 6 or so bread vans. Finding more than 2 or three is usually as bad or worse than finding one with no driver. When there are that many there is too much choice and rather than filling one at a time, the drivers fight over riders and it takes 6 times as long to fill the vans.
Some drivers will get 5 passengers and decide to go and hope to pick up passengers along the side of the road. There are always people on the side of the road. Other drivers will wait and accost people until they fill their van to capacity plus. I got in the van of one such driver Saturday.
The vans will seat 8 adults somewhat comfortably. 9 is possible if everyone agrees to inhale at the same time. My driver crammed 9 of us in the van and appeared to be happy with that. We pulled out and drove for almost 10 feet and then stopped. The driver got out, ran around the van, and spoke to a tiny old woman. He opened the trunk and put something in. I did not bother to turn around to see what because we were packed so tightly. The driver got back in and we took off. I was expecting to have an Asian in my lap since we stopped, but no. Curious as to what just happened, I turned around to find out the answer to the question: How do you fit one more person in a bread van. Answer: you stuff and old lady in the trunk. All you could see was her tiny gray head pressed between the seat and the trunk door.
We actually stopped once more along the way as our driver tried to convince another person that they could fit in the trunk too. This person just laughed and waved us on. For the record the trunks of the bread vans are so narrow that I will not let them put my backpack in there for fear that it will crush my computer.
? of the day for an atta boy / girl, where is the last place you would expect to find a little old Asian lady?
Monday, February 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







8 comments:
Maybe strapped to the top?
I have a challange to my fellow blog commenters. Someone very near and dear to my heart (not near physically) is having a birthday March 16 and will be 34 years old. To possibly win a MOM award see whc can send the best most original birthday greeting...starting now! This will be good for Jacob 24 because it can be posted anytime! Get ready,
get set, go! MOM
Question: How many people fit into a [insert third-world country here] bus?
Answer: One more!
Would never expect to see a little old Asian lady in a suitcase on a bicycle in the rain under a tarp beside a bridge across a river full of ducks.
Lifting you and your crazy adventures up daily! May the main thing always remain the main thing!
I would not expect to find a little old Asian lady in my closet!
I literally laughed out loud @ this blog. One day you will have a best seller on your hands when you write your memoirs.
In Winston County. LOL! A little back home humor. :-) Toby
In my bed. 34 I know what that is like.
To Mom....I've got the best one, but we are going to save it for a "later date."
Okay so I have a space between my outer wall of my apartment and the apartment beside mine. It might be the width of about two feet but goes back eight feet or so and ends at my tiny bathroom window. So my neighbors told me last week that they saw a little Asia lady up in that crawl space. The only thing they could figure out was she was trying to get a peek at the foreigner. :)
Helican, Alabama
Post a Comment