Last time on We Have Much Experienced Turbulence: Pens were dropped, Funny hats were worn, candy was ingested, and a nap contemplated.
The live observations have concluded and the rest of the story is as follows:
The thought of having been drugged woke me right up, and the duration of the 30 minutes in the air went by without incident. The plane landed at 2:00 a.m. I promptly got off the plane made it through customs and acquired my tourist visa. From there I went to baggage claim.
In my head, this was the spot where things could get dangerous again. Perhaps agents had searched the bags and were just waiting for the owners to claim them, so while luggage family was at one end of the baggage claim area and trying to convince me to go home with them, at the first opportunity, I went to the other end of the baggage area.
My bags were among the first five or six to appear. I grabbed them and off I went in search of my shuttle to the hotel. Unfortunately locating the shuttle in a gigantic airport was not easy. I found one of the other two people dumb enough to be talked into taking this late night flight. While we walked the airport multiple times, Ampira spotted us and ran me down. She was absolutely convinced that there was no other way out of the airport than with her. I on the other hand was absolutely convinced that I would stay right there in that airport and pass away from old age before I would risk having my organs harvested. These were probably just nice people, but how many nice people do you know that need not one but two beating sticks? My experience says nice people do not smuggle beating sticks. Organ harvesters on the other hand…..
We located the shuttle, and by 2:45 we were on our way to the hotel. Nearly two hours away. We arrived at 4:45 a.m., but our destination is an hour behind my new home so 3:45 a.m. local time. I arrived to a room that had problems with the door to the balcony and was greeted by mosquitos, ants, some type of red bug, little air conditioning, and a roommate who had had about all he could stand of the room. My instructions said that breakfast was at 7:00 and to come by the information table before 8:30 for my registration packet.
As an added bonus to this entire fiasco, I now appear to have Giardia which shows up 7-14 days after exposure. By that math, I probably contracted it somewhere on that trip. Forgive me if my mood seems a bit foul and the humor is less than you have come to expect, but between trips to the restroom, I have taken little joy in typing up this blog. In fact, as of about 3:00 a.m. this morning when the intestinal fireworks began, one might say that my joy has been robbed.
This concludes the saga of We Have Much Experienced Turbulence but tune in tomorrow for the sequal.
My Parasites and Me (Giardia: Something for all the Senses)
Sunday, February 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







2 comments:
oh dear! you knew it was only a matter of time, right? but nothing like getting initiated with a bang! it's a shame you couldn't have started with e-coli or amebas. they're a very small bit easier on the senses.
hope you're regaining your strength AND your joy. His joy will be your strength when you have none. lifting you up daily!
So sorry, Mr. T., to hear about your parasites. Just wanted to leave a comment on the organ harvesting/ beating sticks. In my opinion, a person who was going to harvest your organs, wouldn't want them bruised and battered if they were going to get top dollar for them on the black market. Just a thought!
Post a Comment