What A Wonderful World


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, February 20, 2009

The Ricey Awards


The award of first chair on the bandwagon goes to k for the first ever comment on my blog for his witty remark: blink or blow? wow.

The Ricey for knowing how to get a Ricey goes to Ginny. For future consideration it is always a good idea to compliment and agree with me. Her award winning post is as follows: Hey Heath! I am excited to read about your new adventures! You are a very good writer and seems like you've got a pretty nice set-up in your new home. I totally understand about the shower curtain, though. I came into a similar situation in Madrid in my first apartment. One should not have to mop one's floor after every shower. Have fun and I'll be thinking about you!!!

The Unricey, meaning that this person should probably give me something goes to Melanie for this atrocity: Roll Tide!

The Ricey for best use of the letter V goes to Stacey for: I love it! Your verbiage amuses me. :) **For future consideration words that start with V are worth extra points.

The Ricey for no particular reason other than she will probably enjoy it goes to dailyrenewed for: I like the egg and tomato dish the best so far. hope all is well and you enjoy many oriental twinkies.

The Ricey for most empathetic commenter goes to Lee for: while, naturally, i am glad to hear that you are learning and thriving in this new environment, i admit that the primary purpose of reading your blog is for laughing-out-loud amusement... "no i am not sad, i am crying because i am in pain" = priceless.

The five points and a gold star ricey go to Simply Blessed for being the first to correctly answer: Oh brother where art thou?

The Ricey for giving it the ole college try goes to jacob24 for his two comments on the wrong blog post: The blind seer in O Brother Where Art Thou, of course.Yeah. I may have googled it, but it clicked when I reread it. So, maybe just 3 points and a silver star
Alright, for starters, let me admit that I teach a "Computer Basics" class day in and day out to a room full of 10th graders. But, in teaching this class, I have found that I really don't know a lot about computers.Now I have proven this to you by posting 2 comments on the wrong days' post. Maybe I need to return to the 10th grade. Just as long as I have a better teacher than my class does.

The 3 points and the satisfaction of a job well done Ricey goes to Vicissitude’s Mom for: "Call me Ishmael" Moby Dick by Herman Melville. Great book.Your pants tangle just like the pants I wash do, and I have been washing men's pants for 35 years. Long sleve western shirts are really bad. Suggestions: You could raise the water level, you could mix up the clothes types, you could send out or do as I have come to do, just untangle and do the next load. Enjoying your blog.

Simply Blessed is our first two time ricey winner. Simply Blessed receives a smiley face and a giant A+ in red ink for correctly answering: Madagascar

The Ricey for the strangest place of finding ham goes to Bobbie for: I haven't ever found ham in weird places, other than my son's hair (but what do you expect for a 2 yr. old)?! But I am wondering, did you try the ham on the pound cake...and if so, was it good?!

The Ricey for answering a question in a way that made me chuckle goes to J for: Obvious answer: read a book. Preferably a good book. Even better, a good book you like. –J

Simply Blessed is having an outstanding day and walks away with a third Ricey for solving the Tomyumkung mystery: Probably one of the most famous Thai dishes around the world is the one called tom yum kung. In English, it is sometimes called Hot and Sour Shrimp Soup or Lemongrass and Shrimp Soup. I took the above photograph at Pornsiri Kitchen in Samut Prakan this afternoon. This version has shrimp, but you could also cook it with chicken if you like. The basic ingredients are all the same. Shrimp, straw mushrooms, lightly crushed hot red chilis, sliced galangal, lemongrass stems, torn kaffir lime leaves, coriander, and seasoned with fish sauce, sugar and some lime juice. Use chicken stock to make up the soup. It is very quick and easy to make. In the supermarkets in Thailand, you can buy the starter kit with most ingredients for only about 8 baht!

The swift kick in the seat from your mother for taking candy from a stranger Ricey goes to anonamous for: an old man with dementia in my family group used to give us unwrapped peppermint candy from his lint-filled pockets every sunday. i swear...one time he ran out, so he literally took a piece out of his mouth and handed it to me. he was no stranger, but i did take it and run away crying to my mommy!

The Ricey for why didn’t I think of that goes to Amanda for: So sorry, Mr. T., to hear about your parasites. Just wanted to leave a comment on the organ harvesting/ beating sticks. In my opinion, a person who was going to harvest your organs, wouldn't want them bruised and battered if they were going to get top dollar for them on the black market. Just a thought!

The strawberry sugar wafer Ricey goes to AKH for: Best= penicillinWorst= the movie "Water World"

The all expense paid trip to nowhere Ricey goes to Meektigers24 for: a cheese burger, big cheese burger.

There is a 6 way tie for the lifetime supply of oriental diapers. 1/6 of a ricey goes to Anonymous, Heather, Amphil, Meektigers24, Susan, and James. It was too long to post here, but go back and look at the comments. They are great.

The sake of conversation ricey goes to Ann for: Meatloaf and mashed potatoes, Good southern food.

The all you can sweep pass and an apology Ricey goes to Karen for: The only thing I can come up with is the corner of the car door.BTW - Thanks for getting "It's A Small World" stuck in my head. I appreciate that. :/

The didn’t I make it clear that you should always agree with the Ricey awarder Ricey goes to Hannah for: Ok, first of all - I think you are wrong about them being tasteless. I've had different colors that have different flavors. My favorite flavor is "green"(the flavors doesn't really resemble any actual fruit or spice or anything. Just green.) Secondly, the danger makes it more fun to eat/drink. If cliff jumping was safe, then it wouldn't be fun.

The wait until the last minute to make a comment in order to be in the running for a ricey, Ricey goes to Skatie for: Oh dear...that's all I can say!

Finally, the ricey for most consistent commenter goes to Mom. Too many to post.

Winners may post their acceptance speeches in the comments section under this blog. Formal protests may be submitted as well.

Now that we know Ricey’s exist I am sure the competition will get more intense so keep those comments coming and make them good.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the "Ricey" awards...better than the Oscars anyday. Guess you can tell by my award who is your biggest fan! (Or it could be that I have more spare time.)

MOM

kirk said...

i'm slightly disgusted, but much more intrigued. um...i'm gonna go work on language.

Anonymous said...

For as difficult as it is to leave a freaking comment, I just wanted to say "Thanks! You picked the best award for me." Rest assured that I will try to win more next time. :)

Bobbie said...

I am so excited! I've never won a major award before!! I think I am going to make a huge ball of rice (if I can get the rice to stick together with a glue stick) and make myself an official "Ricey" award!! Oh it will be grand, I shall cherish it!!

Karen said...

Thanks! For the record...I'm still singing it...oh well...
Thanks for keeping us entertained!

jacobh24 said...

It would only be fitting if I posted my speech in tomorrow's blog.

Lee said...

The indubitably scintillating honour of a Ricey would render me inarticulate were it not for the compulsion to render unfeigned gratitude with exorbitant verbosity...

Anonymous said...

Wow, I have never won anything. I join others in thanking you for this honor. Who would have known that washing jeans and long sleeve shirts would some day garner me a "Ricey Award". Thanks for the memories.
It did not surprise us that Mom won the award of most comments. Her comments are one of the real exciting moments for us. We can always tell when she is going to have a comment.
Vicissitudes Mom

Anonymous said...

YES! I love winning stuff.