What A Wonderful World


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, April 16, 2009

That Is Just Disgusting

I have been fighting a continual battle with the drainage of my kitchen sink. It got better for a week or so and then last week it began to worsen. Yesterday it got to the point something had to be done. I talked to the previous tenants of my apartment and they told me that it was a constant battle when they were here. They said that the powers that be here will send someone to fix it immediately but it would be problematic again soon.

This bit of information told me that there was a problem that was beyond a basic sink clog. I decided that I did not want to be fighting this battle for the rest of my time here and if you want something done right you do it yourself. This morning I opened up the sink drain and unstopped it easily enough. A piece of wire and boiling water were adequate to unclog the drain. The drain in the floor however was a different story. That was a serious clog. Taking the cover off the drain revealed unspeakable horror. I can not imagine what that crud was but there was a bunch of it and it went down about two feet.

There is virtually nothing here that can be purchased to deal with clogged drains so I was on my own to figure it out. The unspeakable horror clogging my drain was about the consistency of pudding. I thought about how to dip it out but came up empty on ideas. I thought if I poured enough hot water I could dilute it but no dice. I tried ammonia and that seemed to make a bit of progress but I only had a cup or so and soon ran out. That however left me with a big empty container. I attached a piece of hose to the ammonia container stuck it into the drain and squeezed. I repeated this process about ten times and all of the sudden burps and gurgles, rumbling and bubbles. It worked! My drain is working properly for the first time since I have been here. I was going to take a picture of my new drain unclogger but my batteries for my camera were dead. I may patent this device as everyone I know has drainage problems.

? of the day for a home made plumbing kit, what is the most disgusting job you have ever done?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was awful! Guess my most disgusting jobs also had to do with drains and maybe "some" dirty diapers. But the most disgusting thing I have ever done is when you had the remote control and I sat through some episodes of "Survivor Man", but who knows it maybe of benefit to you at some point. Hope not!!!! MOM

-jeannete- said...

That would have to be literally cleaning a pig sty complete with the afterbirth. To top it off we buried baby piglets that the sow kept killing. And then I mucked out a horse trailer. I so do not belong on a farm.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I should post this unspeakable horror, but.... the most disgusting job I ever did was when I was keeping one of the many kids I usually babysit one day, and "Jacob" had been sick. 'Sick' is really an understatement. I had to change this kid's diapers once every thirty mins. Poor thing had a nasty virus, but his mom needed to work a half day and the doc's appointment wasn't until the afternoon. Well, in the middle of changing the diaper, "Jacob" gets 'sick' again. All over the changing table. What's worse, he gags on the smell, and pukes on himself. Kid you not. I almost gagged. Took me an hour to clean up the whole mess, since I had to give him a bath.

Rachel Ballenger said...

You have not known DISGUSTING til you've cleaned out the shower drain in a home where there are several girls who all have long hair. The gunky goo that results in the drain is a mess of tangled hair, soapy-slime, and who knows what else. Very, very gross as you pull the long slimy blackish-green stringy mess out...
However, the resulting victory of having the shower drain properly is worthwhile. Try doing this every 3-4 months. :)
By the way, we loved your story about naming the deaf friends, and then them naming you and your hearing friends. That story is priceless.
rb