What A Wonderful World


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, April 6, 2009

I Hate Cell Phones

I hate cell phones. I hate them even more here. Too many people have my number and far too few of them have anything important to say but do have an overwhelming compulsion to tell me stuff. They almost all have urgent text messages to send me as well, usually long after I have gone to bed. This would not be such a big deal, but I do not have an alarm clock so my phone fills that role for me. In its spot next to my bed every text message I get wakes me up. You might ask why I don’t turn off the text alert sound? My phone does not allow for that. It is all or nothing. It is also very important that you respond to all text messages lest you get the follow up message 10 minutes later: “did you get my message?”

Here are some examples of urgent text messages I have received:

If you go, I will go! Because I think you are friendly with us and we are like talking to you.
Hi Heath,
TodayI’mveryhappyto know you.From today we are a good friend.
Heath you can find (Name of city) in computer its very mystical.
Hello heath latestnews. Just now I heard on news: there is something urgent in America:earthquick
Hahaha……happy Aprils day..
Hello this is ______. I wait all of you there tomorrow morning

As bad as I hate talking on a cell phone back home, imagine it with someone you hardly know who hardly speaks English. Charades does not translate over the phone and I just can’t make out broken English with all the skips and static in a typical cell phone call. Add to all of this a roughly 3 second delay and it is enough to make me want to throw my phone in the river.

I need to go now. I have to figure out where I am supposed to meet ______ where there is and what time in the morning.

? of the day for a crazy text message, how many times do you use your cell phone in a typical day?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I HATE talking on a cell phone, the delay you mentioned is the main reason. But I love to text. I probably send and recieve about 50 texts a day. It is just so easy to say anything and get your message to someone w/out having to make small talk, or interupt them from what they are doing.
Malinda

Meektigers24 said...

I use mine probable 50 times a day. It is my main form of communication.

Anonymous said...

I really don't remember exactly how many emails and calls were on this particular bill, all I remember was the amount, and it was over $400.00 for one month. Of course, me and three teenagers were on this bill, but this was completely unacceptable, so I cut everything out I could, threaten to cut phones off, and thankfully it never happened again.

Anonymous said...

All I know how to do is make and answer calls on my cell phone. I don't know how to text or set anything. Amber and Heather had a really fun time setting rings on my phone for different people... the ring they put for your dad's call is You Sexy Thing. Well it was very embarrassing the other day when I was cheking out at the Christian Book Store and I got a call from him. I just mumbled something about my daughters, hung my head and left as soon as possible. Yesterday I went into a panic because I thought I had lost it just to find it where I had left it charging!
MOM

Rachel Ballenger said...

About 4 times a day. When you have 6 kids and you home school and such, life is too busy to answer the phone every time it rings - so I only answer it if the call is from someone I really want to talk to at the moment......and we cut text messaging out of our service. It was a rediculously time-wasting luxury for us. Johnny, on the other hand, answers his phone all the time and loves having it. Oh another reason I don't always answer is that my # is so close to the # of Hampton Inn in town that I get calls requesting available rooms all the time. Usually right in the middle of helping one of the girls with a particularly difficult math problem. Pair that with the necessity to answer every call out on the porch because the reception is so poor in the house....and you see why I don't really care to answer every ring!!!!

Your text message stories are hilarious.

kirk said...

i liked this. i'm going to start recording my ridiculous messages in your honor.

i lost my last phone, and some joy was robbed.

Anonymous said...

Cell phone service in thailand is less reliable than text service, so when i really want it to go through, i text. --J