What A Wonderful World


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A Must Read

MB IA or EB IV (2300-2000) INTERMEDIATE BRONZE AGE
Dramatic changes in the urbanized societal structures of the Early Bronze Age--many sites destroyed or abandoned for centuries -- e.g. Arad, Ai, Hebron, Yarmuth.
Transition to semi-nomadic / pastoralist / sedentism lifestyle.
Regional population shift in Cent. & West. Negev--numerous small villages w/substantial cemeteries.
Egypt--significant cultural decline due to (1) internal strife of socio-economic factors & decentralization, incl. conflict betw. Herakleopolis & Thebes, (2) external pressure from incursion of "Asiatics" from Hurru, Retenu & beyond; (3) breakdown in trade with Asia -- "First Intermediate Period"
Sumer and Akkad collapse due to (1) struggle between the city-states of S. Mesopotamia,
(2) Amorite, Elamite, and other movements, (3) breakdown of int'l trade relationships.
Syria regional varied results. Ugarit--EB III civilization collapses, w/ slow redevelopment. Byblos-- recovery immediate w/continuity in S. at Bab-edh-Dhra. Major EB III cities like Megiddo reduced to small unwalled villages.
Cause?? Amorites (incl. patriarchs)? - W. F. Albright. Indo-Europeans? - C. Schaeffer. Indigenous population shift/decline, including socio-economic factors? - W. Dever, S. Richard.

MIDDLE KINGDOM EGYPT (2000 - 1750/1720 BC)

Two Lands Theban pharaoh Nebhepetre Mentuhotep (11th) reunites the Two Lands (by force).
Faiyum Capital 12th Dynasty pharaohs move capital to Faiyum, between Memphis & Thebes.
Decentralization trend in political forces reversed >> pharaonic power enhanced.
Feudal state overseen by nobles and nomarchs
Sinai copper and turquoise mines reopened - limited hedge against the migratory `Asiatics.'
Trade routes open and Egyptian economy flourished.

? of the day for a prank, how far did you read before you realized it was an April Fools joke?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just thought you had lost your mind and I kept waiting for the punch line. This is the second one I fell for today. When I got down to R & A this morning, Abby said "I smell dog poop". I started checking my shoes and sniffing. Abby started laughing and said April Fool! She really thought that was funny.
MOM

Meektigers24 said...

I'm just amazed you carried it that far.

Toby and Beverly said...

It kind of reads like the fall of life as we know it in the U.S. ??? Something to think about. On that happy note, have a wonderful day! :-) Toby