What A Wonderful World


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I Will Explain Tomorrow

Good morning, my name is Heath and I am representing the foreigners who have chosen to study here in _________. I have been here for almost four months and in that time I can honestly say that there has not been one single day that has passed in which I have failed to learn something new. These new learning experiences would not have been possible without leaving the familiar surroundings of home and living in a place half way around the world.
There are some amazing advantages to studying abroad. Everything is an adventure. At home buying groceries was a chore. Here it is an opportunity to learn about what people on this side of the world eat. At home a trip to the post office was a hassle. Here it is always a joy because the only mail I get is a package from home. At home going to a restaurant was often boring with the same old options. Here it is always exciting to order something new each time. Back home we often get in routines and never meet new people. Here I meet new people every day. These are advantages that can only come from finding a new place to study and making it our new home at least for a while.

When one studies abroad there is seldom a day that goes by when his eyes are not opened to some amazing aspect of culture. I personally have been amazed by how people travel on motorcycle and scooters. There must be more motorcycles and scooters in this city than in the entire state that I am from. I was amazed the first time I saw people carrying soup in plastic bags. We almost never get soup to go back home. I was amazed the first time I saw what seemed like hundreds of people dancing on the street. I have never seen that back home. A day of splashing water on friends to wish them well is completely unheard of back home. These activities that are so normal here, I would have never gotten to experience without this opportunity to study abroad.

This school prepares its students well and I want to encourage its graduates to take the opportunity to study abroad if at all possible. I also want to thank the school administration and staff for the opportunity that they have afforded us to study here. This is a wonderful place to live, study, and learn. Our lives are much richer for the experience.

? of the day for an invitation to speak at some event you are clueless about, can you quote a line from a famous speech?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here i sit thinking I am a fairly intelligent, well rounded person, but when put on the spot all I could come up with was, Duh...does that count? Give me a couple of hours or maybe days and I'm sure I will come up with a really good one! MOM

Anonymous said...

Well 2 came almost instantly Fact: I will return. Gen. Douglas McArthur Fiction: To be or not to be that is the question, whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take up arms against a sea of trobles, and by opposing, end them. Hamlet/Shakespeare Vissitudes Mom

Anonymous said...

1. "Give me liberty or give me death!"
2. "Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation..."
3. "Go ye therefore and make disciples of all nations..."

Lifting you and all your learning experiences up today!

Anonymous said...

Four Score and Seven years ago........ can't remember the rest word for word though, pretty sad huh?
Malinda

Meektigers24 said...

Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. JFK

Today is a day that shall live in infamy. FDR

Im afraid we have awakened a sleeping Giant. admiral Yamamoto after the bombing of pearl harbor.