How is it that for every minute one is interrupted while doing a task ends up actually costing three minutes worth of productivity. Last week in particular was filled with interruptions. While I had been finishing my language classes and post class studying by 1-2 p.m. last week I would still be working well into the evening.
I actually calculated the time that I was taken off task last week for nonsense and it added up to almost 8 actual hours of time. If my theory is correct and each minute of distraction actually costs 3 minutes of productivity I lost an entire day.
I have been more strategic this week. Rather than throw the phone in the river, I simply don’t bother to answer it during “office hours”. With this plan implemented today, I finished around 2:30 p.m. and would have finished sooner, but decided to take an extended lunch break.
It is kind of nice not to be pushed until well after dark to get the daily routine done. I have 2 hours to kill before my next appointment. I think I will eat supper on the balcony and just sit there and watch clouds go by.
? of the day for an extra day in the week, if you had an uninterrupted day with no work allowed what would you do?
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







5 comments:
Sit on the beach under an umbrella and talk to my children, read or just watch the ocean and clouds. Of course, I would have to have something cold to drink and snacks close by.
Wow - how nice would that be. When dealing with the public all day long on the phone there is no way to avoid interruption - something always comes up. LOL! Congrats on an uninterrupted day. Enjoy your week! Toby
Read!! Or hike to one of my favorite waterfalls...
i would sit on the porch of a cabin in the mountains, or on the beach, with the book, or play Golf.
I would sleep in, spend a lot of time in the Word, take a nap, go jet skiing on the lake and go to bed early! :) Lifting you up daily, Heath, and asking for a very meaningful, productive holy week!
Post a Comment