I had an ah ha moment a couple of hours ago. I was meeting a couple of people at the bus station. One I have spent a little bit of time with and the other I have never met. I was standing in front of the bus station with my eyes peeled intently watching for the one guy that I would hopefully recognize wondering how I would ever find him in the mob of people. Then it dawned on me that my logic was backwards. All I needed to do was stand in an obvious place and let them find me.
I had completely forgotten that I kind of stand out in the crowd around here. I must be starting to feel at home. The people I met at the bus station had no problem finding me and as we got supper at one of my usual restaurants the owner greeted me like an old friend, and as we were walking back to the apartment we ran in to two different groups of people that invited us to tag along with them. I think I shall proclaim this evening as the evening I officially got over feeling like the odd man out.
How many days does it take to feel like you have been accepted? 1,2,3,……99. Tomorrow is officially day 100 if my math is correct. The seemingly insignificant events of this evening have given me a much needed second wind. It is time to knock out some language study and get to more important tasks.
? of the day for a coveted spot in the comfort zone, where do you feel the most out of place?
Friday, April 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







4 comments:
I took a some collage courses a few years ago. I was by far the oldest person in the room, including the professors! You don't really notice the age gap in your normal surrounding, but in a different situation like that it stands out and screams at you.
MOM
In the women bathroom.
Everywhere, seems like I always feelout of place.
Pretty much any time I'm in a foreign country. And also there was that one time when I went to a shrine to the god of alcohol who happens to share my birthday. I felt a little out of place there, I suppose. :) Lifting you up today and asking for many more ah-ha's and comfort levels. Hoping you have some great sharing opps today.
Post a Comment