Imagine if you will a small cake in the shape of a taco shell. It is of course orange in color, and the cream filling is where the meat would go in a taco shell. This is the general shape of what I refer to as an oriental twinkie.
I was once again invited to attend a celebration dinner. I have been here just over a week, and I have celebrated I am not sure what twice. Once again there was enough food to feed at least one large army and possibly two small ones. I recognized most everything at this banquet except for the odd little orange pastries. I took one, as I have come to enjoy adventure eating. I was surprised to find that it tasted just like a twinkie with extra filling. It was a strange item to eat with all of the other foods on the menu, so I decided to hold off until the end of the meal for another and just consider it dessert.
Some beef with peppers and onions, two plates of mushrooms, a beef stew type entre, fried potatoes, roasted cashews and peanuts, gruel, tomato and egg, sweet and sour pork, rice of course, and several other items that slip my mind later, I took my second oriental twinkie. This time I noticed some type of substance on top. It was shaved and brown, but was reminiscent of how desserts with coconut shavings on top look back home. Since I enjoyed the oriental twinkie, I enquired as to what it is called in case I wanted to order it some time. Our host said they just call it cake. Another of the party inquired as to what the shavings on top were and it turns out that it was shaved beef. Who would have ever imagined that beef would go so well on a twinkie. Since I was so fond of them, they sent the leftovers with me.
In the privacy of my room this morning for breakfast, I pulled off all the shaved beef and ate it separately just to see. It was definitely meat of some kind. I was given the advice never to ask what I was eating, but I really enjoy finding out. How many of you can say you ate beef on your last twinkie? You never know until you ask.
I have no picture to share as I have been digesting the last of today’s topic for several hours now.
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







2 comments:
I like the egg and tomato dish the best so far. hope all is well and you enjoy many oriental twinkies.
i mean, dude. i've been eating soo freaking much. pray that i will stop. moving into my apt. tomorrow!
k
Post a Comment