An unexpected foe claimed me as a victim this morning. I now understand how difficult it can be to breath at high altitude. The beautiful mountain that I look at everyday has a path of steps to the top. It looks like a nice leisurely climb to the top, but as with most things looks are not everything. I am not sure if I could have made it to the top if I was adjusted to the altitude of my city, but I know I wiped out sooner than expected.
I have been fortunate in the fact that I did not suffer from jet lag at all and culture shock has not set in yet, but I have been expecting to hit a wall over the last couple of days, but had not. Boys and girls, I found the wall today on the way up that mountain and hit it full throttle.
As I sat on the step that was as far as I could go, I wondered if the dissent would be as grueling as the assent. If so I wondered how to communicate to friends and family to make donations to my favorite charity instead of flowers for my funeral.
After about 20 minutes passed, I regained my breath and was able to continue up another section of steps to some benches.
This morning was easily the coldest since I have been here and the altitude made it even worse. The fact that the benches were cold rock motivated me to go further. I pressed on until the guys I was with (who by the way work out all the time and climb the mountain to see how fast they can do it) were on their way back down. The dissent was not as difficult as the assent so put your check books away.
I have been fortunate in the fact that I did not suffer from jet lag at all and culture shock has not set in yet, but I have been expecting to hit a wall over the last couple of days, but had not. Boys and girls, I found the wall today on the way up that mountain and hit it full throttle.
As I sat on the step that was as far as I could go, I wondered if the dissent would be as grueling as the assent. If so I wondered how to communicate to friends and family to make donations to my favorite charity instead of flowers for my funeral.
After about 20 minutes passed, I regained my breath and was able to continue up another section of steps to some benches.
This morning was easily the coldest since I have been here and the altitude made it even worse. The fact that the benches were cold rock motivated me to go further. I pressed on until the guys I was with (who by the way work out all the time and climb the mountain to see how fast they can do it) were on their way back down. The dissent was not as difficult as the assent so put your check books away.
I learned a few valuable lessons along the way. 1. Never underestimate the mountain. Believe me it is higher than it looks. 2. Cold rock motivates one to move. 3. Pace is important in climbing mountains and living in Asia. 4. Steps that have a rise of roughly 1.5 inches more than typical American steps add a new dimension to stair climbing and that dimension hurts my legs. 5. Strategy is important in mountain climbing and living in Asia.
I will try again soon and keep you posted of my success or failure. If I make it do a little dance in my honor. If I don’t I think most of you already know where to send the checks.
I will try again soon and keep you posted of my success or failure. If I make it do a little dance in my honor. If I don’t I think most of you already know where to send the checks.







No comments:
Post a Comment