What A Wonderful World


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I Should Have Been a Boyscout!

As it was once my misfortune to be caught in a situation in which many individuals ended up smelling like moldy hippopotami for the lack of a proper shower curtain. I placed one in my travel bag some time ago. Said shower curtain has traveled with me many places but never been used.
Being in the predicament which I was in that one time set my brain into overdrive and I thought about the many uses that one could have for a shower curtain. Over the last several years, I have taken some old ones when the little holes break and cause untold aggravation until you replace it and used them for kite making, ground cover when you are working on your vehicle and do not want to get nasty, and for shelter from torrential rainfall. All of that said, you just never know when you will find a use for a shower curtain, but back to my original point. I had a shower curtain in my luggage.
Foreign bathrooms can be interesting and mine is no exception. It is just a room with a toilet, sink, drains in the floor, and a shower head. It seems efficient at first until one tries to shower. It is at this moment that one realizes that you really cannot shower without soaking everything. Toilet, sink, toilet paper, towel, everything gets soaked. That is, unless one remembers that he has a shower curtain in his bag. It is not really possible to install a typical curtain rod in my bathroom, but a few strategically placed nails and a little bit of ingenuity and shower time is shower time and not a ride on the Grizzly River Rampage.
I suggested to a friend over facebook that a shower curtain might be worth packing and it appears several others concur with this thesis, so if you ever decide to take a long trip or even a short one, forget the American Express card. The one thing you should not leave home without is a shower curtain. Take this advice, you can thank me later. Happy traveling S.B. If you do not need it for your shower I am sure you can use yours for something else. Perhaps a decorative table cloth, wall art if you get a fancy one, a water proof cape, the possibilities are endless.
Who travels with a shower curtain? I do, and as I was hanging it I thought to myself, “I should have been a boyscout.”

1 comment:

Ginny Humber said...

Hey Heath! I am excited to read about your new adventures! You are a very good writer and seems like you've got a pretty nice set-up in your new home. I totally understand about the shower curtain, though. I came into a similar situation in Madrid in my first apartment. One should not have to mop one's floor after every shower. Have fun and I'll be thinking about you!!!