What A Wonderful World


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, January 12, 2009

Orange Is Huge Here

If one wishes to blend in and assimilate to the culture in which I now reside, the first thing he or she should do is purchase oranges, orange soda, orange juice, orange tang, and or orange clothing.

The first I noticed of the local affinity for all things orange was the fact that there are orange peels everywhere. 6 out of 10 people you see on the street are either eating, carrying, or selling oranges. Those who are eating them simply throw down the peel where ever they are.

My first purchase in my new town was what I refer to as oriental camouflage (a bag of oranges). I figured it would help me to blend in with my surroundings. My second purchase was an orange ice cream float. It was not really what I wanted, but there was a big picture that I could point to and this seemed the easiest course of action. This apparently endeared me to the employees at the restaurant and now every time I go in they begin making me my usual. I have a bottle of orange drink in my refrigerator, and there is orange on my jacket. I feel like I blend in about as well as I can until I learn the language.

As I sit here writing this whilst I wait for my language tutor, I see 3 orange buildings, 5 orange signs, 1 five foot tall orange plastic chicken,(PLEASE NOTE THAT A 5 FOOT TALL ORANGE PLASTIC CHICKEN IS NOT EVEN STRANGE ENOUGH TO WARRENT ITS OWN BLOG) and several employees of a business wearing orange smocks. All this counting makes me thirsty. I think I will go have my usual.

No comments: