What A Wonderful World


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Always Soup For You

Perhaps the most famous episode of Seinfeld (one of my all time favorite shows) is, “The Soup Nazi”. In case you don’t know, The Soup Nazi ran a soup restaurant and if you did not order correctly he would say, “No soup for you!”

I have found his exact opposite. I have a new restaurant that I eat at around once a week. I only know the names of a few dishes and so I really do not know how to order very well. In fact if I were ordering from the Soup Nazi he would banish me for life. At my new restaurant however I basically give a general guideline of what I want and let the cook make the rest of the decisions. Basically, I choose what kind of meat I want (pork, beef, or chicken) and wait for my surprise meal. The first couple of times I ate there someone else ordered and we did not get soup either time. I have eaten there three times now on my own and each time I have gotten a side order of soup. The first time is was some sort of bean soup. The second time it was beef and mushroom. Tonight it was cabbage. I am not sure what I am doing to indicate that I want soup, but I am the only one who seems to get it. In fact I have never seen another customer get soup with their meal.

I went in tonight with a plan. I was going to order a pork dish and answer no to any questions to insure that I did not get soup. The plan seemed to work. I know all I ordered was the pork dish and it came out along with my rice in about 10 minutes. I thought I had succeeded, but a few moments later out came a bowl of cabbage soup. I looked around no one else but me had soup. It was, like the other soups, very good. When I pay the cook always asks how I liked the food. I always respond with very good. Then other questions follow that I do not understand. In my head I translate that as, “Always soup for you come back one week.”

? of the day for a medium crab bisque, what is your favorite soup?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Taco soup by the Weight Watcher's recipe.

Anonymous said...

Oh man! I love me some homemade vegetable soup made with left-over Sunday roast and veggies from the garden. I think I'll call my mother right now and see if she's got all the makin's for it! :) Lifting you and all your soupy situations up this morning!

Anonymous said...

I like homemade vegetable soup and I used to really love Shoney's potatoe soup, there is woman at my church who makes some really good homemade potatoe soup. Thanks Heath, now I want some soup!

Meektigers24 said...

tortilla soup

Anonymous said...

I like cream of broccoli, loaded baked potato and I have just recently discovered another one that I really like...turnip green soup. Sounds disgusting but it is really good. Don't remember if we had tried this before your left or not...if not we will have to make it when you get home.
MOM

Anonymous said...

Turnip green soup...Mom, I have to get that recipe from you. :-) I would have to say seafood gumbo (if you can call that a soup). Bev likes cheesy vegetable chowder. Maybe you are his "favorite" guest and you get the prize each week. LOL! :-) Enjoy some soup for me. Toby

Anonymous said...

For anyone brave enough to try it:
Turnip Green Soup
1-28 oz. can turnip greens
2 cans great northern beans
1 large onion chopped
1 pkg. Knoors Veg. soup mix
Any meat (I used ham)
put all ingredients in crock pot,cook all day.
Serve with corn bread...Enjoy!
Even our picky eater (Robert) liked it. MOM

Anonymous said...

I guess my favorite soup would be loaded potato soup at O'Charleys. But for the record the Turnip Green soup was very very good!!!

Karen said...

Goodness, now I'm hungry. :) I'm not to sure about the Turnip Green soup though...If I have a choice I'll take homeade vegatable, or broccoli cheddar. If I have to eat canned soup :/ I'll take Progresso Southwest Vegatable.

Anonymous said...

I had something similar happen to me in Thailand. The standard meal at the local market is a small serving of rice, small serving of phat phak ruam (or whatever you order), and some soup (really more like broth, not so good). I finally found a word to add to my order which gets me a large serving of rice, a large serving of phat phak ruam, and no soup. The word is phiset, and it means special (as opposed to a normal meal, I guess); it's roughly the equivalent of "super size me" at McDonalds. --J

Beautiful Feet in Asia or Elsewhere said...

Homemade Broccoli Cheddar soup that my mom makes or Tomato Basil...yummmm.