Ray Stevens had a song about his dog named Fred. He sang the praises of Fred and only complained that the dog never learned to do the dishes. Americans often get really attached to their mutts and mourn them at their passing.
It is quite different here. Some friends of mine are about to move, and where they are moving they will not be able to have a dog. Back home this would present a dilemma. What is one to do with Fred? Leave him with a friend or relative, put an add in the paper for a good home, put Fred in a shelter and visit him on the weekends?
Here you have a bbq. No foolin. I passed by their place in route to another function and the two daughters ran up to me to show me their new jewelry and invite me to eat.
Flash forward 20 years to a conversation between the two girls now in their mid to late twenties.
Girl 1, "Remember Fred? He was a good dog."
Girl 2, "Yep, tasted like chicken."
Girl 1, "Remember how he used to chase cats?"
Girl 2, "And his teeth made a beautiful necklace."
? of the day for a canine bicuspid, what is the strangest thing you have ever worn around your neck?
P.S. I passed on the invitation as I was on my way to partake in dog free lasagna.
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







2 comments:
Are you serious????MOM
I am SO disturbed by this post. Pleeease tell me you're teasing?
Post a Comment