What A Wonderful World


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Fort Deposit

From time to time it is not uncommon to hear about times of peril motivating people to feats of extraordinary strength. I can now attest to the validity of such claims. Here is my tale.

I was on the first leg of a three part trip into arguably one of the most remote and poverty stricken areas in my country of residence when nature called. Knowing that this was a lengthy trip and just holding it was not going to be an option for the entire duration of the journey I ventured toward the outhouse. Outhouse is far too strong a term for where I went.

Outhouses, at least in my frame of reference, have a roof, one or two seats, a door, and a collection hole and possibly other amenities. What I was walking toward was a tarp thrown over some bushes with four planks resting with one end on the side of a hill and the other end resting on another plank wired to two posts. As I approached, I paused to take account of the contraption in order to approach from the best angle as it had been pouring rain all day and traction was non-existent. Pondering my options, I shifted my weight from one leg to the other and both feet slid out from under me. I somehow ended up with the ring and pinky fingers of my left hand clinging to a post that was at the entrance of Fort Deposit. I was dangling from a post and all that kept me from sliding right through the middle of you know what where those two fingers.

I once again found myself pondering my options. I decided to make like a pendulum and on the back swing try to get my feet on the ground. Fortunately this maneuver worked and tragedy was avoided. Suddenly holding it became a much more viable option.

? of the day for feat of human strength, have you ever used an outhouse?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I was turning my computer on just now, your Dad ask if I had heard from you lately. I said no and that I was really ready to hear from you. Never in my wildest imagnatinon did I think about hearing something like this!(You should be eternally grateful to your fingers!)
You will have to put this in your book. And the answer to your question is yes. We were the proud owner of one when I was a little kid. MOM

Anonymous said...

My mom and grandma potty trained me in an outhouse, but thankfully I just do not remember it.

Karen said...

Unfourtunatley, yes. It was gross. Indoor plumbing is something I am eternally grateful for.

Anonymous said...

Yes.
Josh

Anonymous said...

Use of an outhouse ... check. Use of an outhouse within the last 30 days .. check, check! Lovely experiences all around. Susanna

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laugh! You describe things with such vividness! I have never used an outhouse, I went in one at a church once, but just to look. I think porta pottys are bad enough, wouldn't want to use an outhouse.
Malinda

Anonymous said...

Yes, many times, I used to like the 2 holer at my great grandmothers. I too am extremely grateful for indoor plumbing especially in the summertime. Vissitudes Mom

Kevin said...

Yes, we lived without plumbing and electricity for about 5 years when I was a kid. I really appreciate all those days have done for me. With the Father I feel like I can do anything He lays at my feet.

Anonymous said...

Why didn't you just use the bush?

-AKH