What A Wonderful World


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Everything And The Kitchen Sink



If you have been a dedicated reader of this blog, you may remember several months ago a blog about the drains to my kitchen sink. At the time I intended to get around to changing out the faucet but it just never happened. Over the last few months my leaky faucet transformed into old faithful. Every time I turned it on, half of the water came out the faucet as it should and the other half shot out in myriad directions. I finally had enough of it so I made a trip to the plumbing supply store and picked up everything I needed. In reality this was actually 4 trips spread over 5 days.

The fun thing about Asian plumbing is that they rarely if ever install cut off valves. I mean why bother. There is a drain in the floor. My kitchen was not one of the rare instances. So installing a new faucet meant removal of two hoses with water still on. I have complained to the former occupant of my apartment that what is supposed to be the hot water from the local hot spring has never produced an ounce of water any warmer than the cold in my kitchen. I hereby acknowledge my mistake as the water that gushed out of the open hot side was at least 5 degrees warmer than the water that gushed out of the open cold side a few moments later. This is not saying much as the cold side I am fairly certain comes directly from the melting polar ice caps.

In the process, I installed two cut off valves which got in the way of the old drain pipes under the sink, so I had to get new drain pipes which did not fit until I got sick of going to the plumbing supply and just made some minor adjustments with my saw. Anyway, 5 days and a massive flood later, I have a leak free faucet and my kitchen renovations are complete. At least for now.

? of the day for an old leaky faucet, have you ever completed a project with only one trip to the store?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

no

Karen said...

Nope. Never. No matter how simple, it always requires at least two trips, ususally more.
Yay! for no more leaky faucets. :)

Toby and Beverly said...

Plumbing - you have to love it. I spent several days (maybe weeks) under our house when we built - I plumbed every bit of it. :-) I enjoyed it - or maybe it was the cleaner and glue. At any rate - GOOD JOB Heta! Toby

Anonymous said...

Want me to send my son over? He recently fixed a broken sprayer in our bathroom.

As to number of trips, if I take only one to the store, it means I took several to my neighbor's house to borrow tools.

--James

Anonymous said...

For starters I don't do much repair work BUT with that said. When Steve starts a repair job he figures in extra time and stress into the myriad of trips it will take to go again and again to the hardware store. I just make sure he has food and encouragement. Godd job. Nancy